From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "EZ mode" vs "AP mode"
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 13:46:09
1 On 13/1/22 21:29, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:38:48 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >
4 >> Z mode is  the smart dev acting as an accesspoint for the controlling
5 >> phone app to connect - so it cant in that mode connect to anything
6 >> else.  To reflash the firmware with something friendlier you can use EZ
7 >> mode to flash esphome onto tuya devices using tuya-convert via a
8 >> raspberry pi (needs to be a 32 bit OS ... I am using gentoo but is a
9 >> lot easier with raspian).
10 >>
11 >> Tonight I decided to flash esphome onto some "brilliant smartplugs" but
12 >> it isnt connecting - its a frustrating process :( but the apps usually
13 >> work ok ... after multiple goes.
14 > The tuya and similar devices used the esp8266 chipset, so you could flash
15 > them with tasmota/espurna/esphome. Now they are switching to different
16 > chipsets and none of the previous flashing methods will work.
19 I am hoping this is not the case (supposedly these are still flashable)
20 - Ive just discovered my current problem is my tuya-convert install is
21 broken.
22
23 BillK