From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eselect for managing virtuals
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 02:49:36
1 * Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > However, what you want can still be done without touching the ebuilds
4 > because it would really just be an alias for `emerge --one-shot
5 > <new_alternative> && emerge --depclean <old_alternative> &&
6 > revdep-rebuild` (in the easiest, non-blocking case).
7
8 No, this isn't enough. I want an stable method which never leaves
9 the system in an inconsistent state. When revdep-rebuild is required,
10 there's normally a period of time where some installed packages are
11 broken (okay, preserved-libs makes it better), exactly what I never
12 want on a productive system.
13
14 > I personally wouldn't want to automate this. The problem is that
15 > different virtuals need different switching strategies. Converting from
16 > jpeg to jpeg-turbo is relatively straight-forward. Switching between
17 > httpd-basic implementations, on the other hand, needs manual work to
18 > carry over config files and such.
19
20 I didn't intend to do this fully automatic, for all virtuals.
21 Just a bunch of special ones which just handle the scenarios of
22 exchanging libraries (also on different/incompatible ABIs).
23
24 > Maybe it would be a better idea to teach emerge to warn the user when a
25 > default virtual implementation is about to be installed and show the
26 > different alternatives. Similarly emerge --sync or eix-sync could inform
27 > the user when a new alternative package for an already installed virtual
28 > is available.
29
30 Indeed, that would be a good feature.
31
32 > Isn't that problem resolved in portage-2.2 by keeping the old library
33 > file around until all packages have been re-emerged?
34
35 The preserve-libs stuff ? I'm not sure how it actually works under the
36 hood, but as far as I can see it, it's just done for certain critical
37 libs yet (eg. openssl), and the package manager doesn't know much of it,
38 just keeps certain files around. So manual revdep-rebuild runs and
39 removals of old libs is still required.
42 cu
43 --
45 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
46
47 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
48 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
50 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme