From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext3 FS File Size Limits
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 14:29:02
1 Hello, Jörg.
2
3 On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 04:06:11PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
4 > Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > > The wikipedia page on Ext3 says that with a 1kB blocksize, the maximum
7 > > file size is 16GB, but with a 2kB blocksize it's 256GB. Could it be
8 > > you've somehow actually got a 1kB blocksize on the partition?
9
10 > Where does such a strange limitation come from?
11
12 Haven't a clue. I would have expected the maximum file size to be a
13 number of blocks, which makes it seem strange that doubling the block
14 size multiplies max file size by 16.
15
16 > Ext* started as a UFS "clone" and UFS filesize is limited to 2**63 while
17 > UFS filesystem size is limited to 1 TB.
18
19 Just for ease of comparison, 16GB = 2**34 bytes = 2**24 1k blocks. 1TB =
20 2**40 bytes.
21
22 > That is much more than you claim for Ext3
23
24 I'm not doing any claiming, since I'm not an expert on the subject. I
25 was just drawing the OP's attention to something which might be useful.
26
27 > Jörg
30 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).