From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Missing /etc/init.d/net.eth0 symlink after install
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:14:40
1 Am Mittwoch, 9. November 2011, 16:57:40 schrieb Walter Dnes:
2 > I just did a 32-bit install on an older Dell with 3 gigs of ram.
3 > Almost everything went right, except that at the first boot boot-up,
4 > there was no eth0. After some detective work, I found out there was
5 > no /etc/init.d/net.eth0 symlink to /etc/init.d/net. I manually
6 > created the symlink, ran "/etc/init.d/net restart", and eth0 came up
7 > fine. I also added it to the default runlevel with rc-update.
8 >
9 > Has anyone else run into this on a recent install?
10
11 I'd say so. You are supposed to create this link yourself.
12 From the handbook:
13
14 Automatically Start Networking at Boot
15
16 To have your network interfaces activated at boot, you need to add them to the
17 default runlevel.
18
19 Code Listing 2.8: Adding net.eth0 to the default runlevel
20
21 # cd /etc/init.d
22 # ln -s net.lo net.eth0
23 # rc-update add net.eth0 default