From: David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS for Pentium Dual Core E2160 ?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:31:44
1 On Saturday 10 Nov 2007 19:20 in article <9o42c-6KV-13@×××××××××××××.it>
2 of linux.gentoo.user, Bo Ørsted Andresen(bo.andresen@××××.dk) wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 02:18:46PM +0000, David W Noon wrote:
5 >> If you change the CHOST, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS variables, then do:
6 >> emerge -e system
7 >> emerge -e world
8 >> you will have converted everything except your kernel to 64-bit.
9 >
10 > Clearly you are completely clueless. Do *NOT* do this. It will break
11 > your system.
12
13 Whenever I need to rebuild everything, I do it from a recovery CD. This
14 means I don't need to run the kernel and glibc that are on the hard
15 drive.
16
17 One can rebuild the kernel on the hard drive either before or after one
18 has rebuilt the other system and application software. I would usually
19 rebuild the kernel after the toolchain has been rebuilt, simply so that
20 I build it using a 64-bit toolchain. The kernel only needs to be
21 rebuilt before rebooting the system from the hard drive.
22
23 This way the entire system can be rebuilt while running under a kernel
24 and glibc [on the CD] that match the hardware architecture of the box.
25
26 Indeed, I have just such an operation planned for next week.
27 --
28 Regards
29
30 Dave [RLU#314465]