From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev and device ownership
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 08:51:55
1 On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:51:56 +0100, paulie.x wrote:
2
3 > I created new user and just changed OWNER in 10-local.rules to new
4 > username. Now when I plug in mp3 player it created device node
5 > (example) /dev/sdc and rightly I'm owner of this file but I'm not owner
6 > of the link so I cannot mount it like regular user. And when I mount it
7 > like root I cannot manipulate with data on the device.
8
9 Is the new user a member of the plugdev group? If not, they wouldn't be
10 able to mount it.
11
12 Add "umask=0" to the options in /etc/fstab to allow all users read/write
13 access, even when mounted as root. See the FAT options in man mount if you
14 want more fine-grained control over this.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Click..Click..Click..Damn! Out of taglines!