From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] data recovery advice needed
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 17:43:34
1 On 2018.12.18 07:21, Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 17/12/18 19:32, Jack wrote:
3 >> ddrescue has now been running for almost 22 hours, and it's been 47
4 >> seconds less than that since its last successful read.
5 >
6 > Doesn't sound good. Just to throw my tuppence-worth of bad news into
7 > the mix, are your drives in USB enclosures? I really don't trust USB
8 > and hard drives, I'd guess maybe 80% of my drive failures have been
9 > that combination :-(
10 No enclosures involved at all. In one case the 2.5" drive was in the
11 laptop when the partition move issue occurred. It has been just
12 sitting in the open when the read errors started - initially connected
13 by SATA to the desktop with the side open, and now by USB connected to
14 the laptop. (I'll move back to the desktop once I get a new disk with
15 enough room to do the recovery there.) The other drive (3.5") was in a
16 desktop when it failed, and other than a brief attempt at using the USB
17 connection (no enclosure) has just been sitting inside one or the other
18 desktop. Same issue needing more space to attempt any further recovery.
19 >
20 > I've currently got two drives, in USB caddies, that I want to try and
21 > salvage, and at some point soon I'll be buying an external eSATA
22 > adaptor - that does NOT enclose the drives to give free airflow.
23 >
24 > The other thing is, if you're having trouble reading the drive, could
25 > it be the USB bus that's playing up? Again, I'm very wary of large
26 > amounts of data over USB, it just doesn't seem to work for me.
27 >
28 > Cheers,
29 > Wol
30 Jack