From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] MBR + GPT + GRUB
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 17:46:53
1 Hi All,
2
3 A slightly off-topic question arising from a different distro, which may
4 replicate itself on Gentoo.
5
6 I installed Mint-Linux, in a VM. The host PC MoBo has a legacy BIOS system.
7 I used a GPT scheme to create partitions on the virtual disk. The first 1M on
8 the virtual disk was left empty by gdisk. I thought GRUB can use this for its
9 core image. Note, I did not create a partition in this 1MB empty space at the
10 start of the disk.
11
12 While running the Mint Installer I got a warning from its partition manager
13 telling me I had not specified a BIOS_grub partition and the installation may
14 fail. I ignored the warning and continued with the installation, which
15 completed successfully.
16
17 A few weeks later I ran an update which among other packages updated grub2-
18 common. An ncurses menu popped up warning me:
19
20 "The GRUB boot loaders was previously installed to a disk that is no longer
21 present, or whose unique identifier has changed for some reason".
22
23 It offered to install in /dev/vda, /dev/vda1, or /dev/vda2. I selected /dev/
24 vda which represents the virtual disk. It failed to install in /dev/vda
25 because the device did not contain a BIOS_grub partition.
26
27 I tried 'grub-install --force' and --boot-directory options, but in all cases
28 it failed to install. At the end I had to create a new 1M partition with
29 gdisk and set its type to ef02 (BIOS boot partition), before grub would
30 install its core image successfully.
33 QUESTIONS:
34
35 Why/how the initial installation succeeded without an ef02 partition, but a
36 grub package update would not proceed without it? Where did the Mint
37 installer store the grub core image to be able to continue with the
38 installation?
41 Regards,
42 Mick