From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how can i find out my motherboard?
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:21:16
1 On 9/9/05, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
2
3 > This looks quite the useful utility, but it doesn't seem to provide the
4 > requested information (or at least, not all of it, and what it does
5 > provide is difficult to recognize):
6 >
7 > I know the make and model of my mobo; it's a Shuttle AK32A.
8 >
9 > Let's see what dmidecode has to say:
10 >
11 <SNIP>
12 >
13 > The manufacturer name, Shuttle, never appears in this output (which is
14 > not all that surprising, since I don't think Shuttle puts any chips on
15 > the board that identify themselves as Shuttle-made (as opposed to VIA or
16 > whoever), but the fact that I'm not surprised is irrelevant to solving
17 > the problem :) ).
18 >
19 > There certainly is a lot of useful information in this output, but it's not
20 > necessarily the information needed (and certainly not all of the information
21 > requested by the OP). So how would I, or the OP, use this utility
22 > properly to answer the question, "What is the make (manufacturer) and
23 > model number of my motherboard?" Or does it not answer that question fully?
24 >
25 > Holly
26 > --
27 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
31 Hi Holly,
32 This machine is a newish Asus A8N-E. Here's a trimmed version of what I see:
33
34 lightning ~ # dmidecode | more
35 # dmidecode 2.6
36 SMBIOS 2.3 present.
37 72 structures occupying 2042 bytes.
38 Table at 0x000F0000.
39 Handle 0x0000
40 DMI type 0, 20 bytes.
41 BIOS Information
42 Vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
43 Version: ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
44 Release Date: 06/08/2005
45 Address: 0xE0000
46 Runtime Size: 128 kB
49 <SNIP>
50
51 Handle 0x0002
52 DMI type 2, 8 bytes.
53 Base Board Information
54 Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
55 Product Name: A8N-E
56 Version: 2.XX
57 Serial Number: 123456789000
58
59 So to me it appears to be SMBIOS dependent?
60
61 - Mark
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list