From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 04:47:28
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:02:17 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm not completely opposed to switching to the new name method.  Your
5 >> info about it being in dmesg is helpful.  Now I know where that name is
6 >> exactly.  ;-)  Do I just rename my current net.eth* files to the new way
7 >> and it works or do I need to do something else or is there a automatic
8 >> way to do this?
9 > Add net.ifnames=0 to kernel boot parameters.
14 I've already switched to the new naming method.  I'm not real big on it
15 but its been that way for a while so not likely to change again anytime
16 soon.  That said, they will likely announce a change in a month or so
17 just to rub my nerve the wrong way.  ROFL  At least it isn't as big a
18 deal as hal was.  ;-)  My biggest problem, I wasn't sure where to start
19 looking.  For some reason searching dmesg just escaped me.
20
21 Now if I can figure out how to reset the list of /dev/sd* names that are
22 lurking about and inconsistent, that would be like striking gold.  Every
23 time I hook up my external drive, it gets a different sd* name.  It does
24 the same on the SD cards from my trail cameras too but I can auto mount
25 those.
26
27 I'd also like for kwin to stop resetting every once in a while.  I
28 toggled the compositor(sp?) setting and that seems to have helped, so
29 far anyway.
30
31 Dale
32