From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't ping remote system
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 15:03:32
1 On 01/09/13 15:28, Grant wrote:
2 > My laptop can't ping my remote system but it can ping others
3 > (google.com, yahoo.com, etc). I've tried disabling my firewall on
4 > both ends with '/etc/init.d/shorewall stop && shorewall clear'. Could
5 > my AT&T business ADSL connection on the remote system be blocking
6 > inbound pings?
7
8 A possible reason is that the packet filter on your router is blocking
9 this. (Meaning the router that also houses the ADSL modem.) And it's
10 actually the router itself that replies to pings; the packets never make
11 it to your machine. Usually there's a setting in the router's settings
12 page where you can allow ICMP replies.
13
14 So it's worth digging into the router's settings and see what you can
15 find, if this is the setup you have. But since you mentioned "business
16 connection", you might actually not have such a SOHO router + modem combo.