From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Terminals that work with "compose" key?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 01:53:17
1 On 2009-02-18, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> A dead key and a compose key are related, but not quite the
4 >> same thing. A dead key is one that when struck doesn't
5 >> generate a "letter" but instead modifies the "letter" that's
6 >> generated by the next keystroke. Unlike a modifier like
7 >> shift/alt/control, a dead key or a compose key is struck and
8 >> released and then the next key is struck. Some non-English
9 >> keyboards have dedicated deadkeys for commonly used accents.
10 >> Dead keys are more-or-less the equivalent of a typewriter key
11 >> that imprints a glyph onto the paper but doesn't move the
12 >> platen (or the type-ball, if you want to think like a
13 >> selectric).
14 >>
15 >> What a compose key does is temporarily make the _next_ key
16 >> struck act like a dead key.
17 >>
18 >> To enter ô, you strike compose, ^, o. Hitting compose makes
19 >> the ^ key temporarily into a dead key.
20 >
21 > nope, just ^ and o no other key.
22
23 That's if your keyboard layout has dead keys. Mine doesn't.
24
25 I'm talking about using a compose key (sorry if I wasn't clear).
26
27 If you're using a compose key instead of dead keys, you do it
28 they way I said: compose, ^, o.
29
30 If I type ^ and o, then I get ^o.
31
32 I'm set up to use a compose key. I don't have any dead keys.
33
34 Like I said, some non-English keyboard layouts have dead keys
35 (yours apparently does). US-English layout doesn't. That's
36 why we configure a compose key.
39 Grant