From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:46:38
1 On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht writes:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
5 >> wrote:
6 >
7 >> > How can I find out in such a case which processes are waiting
8 >> > for I/O? top showed nothing.
9 >>
10 >> iotop is your friend.
11 >
12 > I had called it, but didn't spot the problem there. I don't remember
13 > exactly what the output was, I had expected to see some process show a
14 > large value in the IO column, but that was not the case. I THINK! Various
15 > processes appeared, mostly Akonadi stuff.
16 >
17 > I should have logged this, I don't remember this s well. I have caught
18 > some illness, and had fever, which did not help my memory. There were
19 > some kworker processes listed on top, but I don't remember whether in
20 > iotop or in top.
21 >
22 > Hmm. Now I just started Akonadi again, and get a lot I/O in iotop, and
23 > xosview again shows much iowait CPU activity for a while. But that calmed
24 > down after a minute.
25 >
26 >> I'll write more when I get some time to think
27 >
28 > Thanks :)
29 >
30 >        Wonko
33 Sorry. I was rushing then as now. If you start iotop and then hit the
34 'o' key it will show only processes actually doing io. If you're hang
35 is truly an iowait then my experience is that it should at least
36 identify what process is having the problem.
37
38 HTH,
39 Mark