From: peter@××××××××××××.uk
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: NVMe drive and grub
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 09:01:15
1 Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com> wrote :
2
3 > peter@××××××××××××.uk
4 > wrote on 2016-04-07 17:24:
5 > > I have a new box with an NVMe SSD drive attached to the PCI bus via an M.2
6 > interface. The drive shows up as /dev/nvme0n1, with partitions /dev/nvme0n1p1,
7 > /dev/nvme0n1p2, ...
8 > >
9 > > After following the instructions in the handbook for a UEFI system, I get as
10 > far as a kernel panic. Grub finds the kernel and starts it, but it seems to be
11 > passing a null root device name.
12 > >
13 > > Can anyone offer some advice to help me get past this?
14 >
15 > Make sure you have BLK_DEV_NVME compiled into your kernel (not as a
16 > module), and that you pass the right device name as a root FS to the
17 > kernel. It might also help to use a very recent kernel.
18
19 Yes, I have that compiled in, and the kernel is 4.1.15-r1.
20
21 > FWIW, I'm writing this from a laptop that boots from two NVMe devices in
22 > RAID 1 configuration, with kernel 4.4.5.
23
24 Now, that's just showing off :-)
27 Rgds
28 Peter