From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OOM memory issues
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:28:09
1 Kerin Millar <kerframil <at> fastmail.co.uk> writes:
4 > The need for the OOM killer stems from the fact that memory can be
5 > overcommitted. These articles may prove informative:
6
7 > http://lwn.net/Articles/317814/
8
9 Yea I saw this article. Its dated February 4, 2009. How much has
10 changed with the kernel/configs/userspace mechanism? Nothing, everything?
14 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-dev/oom-killer-1911807.html
15
16 Nice to know.
17
18 > In my case, the most likely trigger - as rare as it is - would be a
19 > runaway process that consumes more than its fair share of RAM.
20 > Therefore, I make a point of adjusting the score of production-critical
21 > applications to ensure that they are less likely to be culled.
22
23 Ok I see the manual tools for OOM-killer. Are there any graphical tools
24 for monitoring, configuring, and control of OOM related files and target
25 processes? All of this performed by hand?
28 > If your cases are not pathological, you could increase the amount of
29 > memory, be it by additional RAM or additional swap [1]. Alternatively,
30 > if you are able to precisely control the way in which memory is
31 > allocated and can guarantee that it will not be exhausted, you may elect
32 > to disable overcommit, though I would not recommend it.
33
34 I do not have a problem. It keeps popping up in my clustering research,
35 frequently. Many of the clustering environments have heavy memory
36 requirements, so this will eventually be monitored, diagnosed and managed,
37 real time, in the cluser softwares, such as load balancing. These are
38 very new technologies, hence my need to understand both legacy current
39 issues and solutions. You cannot just always add resources. ONce set up
40 you have to dynamically manage resource consumption, or at least that
41 is what the current readings reveal.
44 > With NUMA, things may be more complicated because there is the potential
45 > for a particular memory node to be exhausted, unless memory interleaving
46 > is employed. Indeed, I make a point of using interleaving for MySQL,
47 > having gotten the idea from the Twitter fork.
48
49 Well my first cluster is just (3) AMD-FX8350 with 32G ram each.
50 Once that is working, reasonably well, I'm sure I'll be adding
51 different (multi) processors to the mix, with differnt ram characteristis.
52 There is a *huge interest* in heterogenous clusters, including but
53 not limited to the GPU/APU hardware. So dynamic, real-time memory
54 managment is quintessentially important for successful clustering.
57 > Finally, make sure you are using at least Linux 3.12, because some
58 > improvements have been made there [2].
59
60 yep, [1] I always set of gigs of swap and rarely use it, for critical
61 computations that must be fast. Many cluster folks are building
62 systems with both SSD and traditional (raid) HD setups. The SSD
63 could be partitioned for the cluster and swap. Lots of experimentation
64 on how best to deploy SSD with max_ram in systems for clusters is
65 ongoing.
68 Memory Management is a primary focus of Apache-Spark (in-memory)
69 computations. Spark can be use with Python, Java and Scala; so it is very cool.
72 > --Kerin
73 > [1] At a pinch, additional swap may be allocated as a file
74 > [2] https://lwn.net/Articles/562211/#oom
75
76 (2) is also good to know.
77