From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev-197 : 4 show-stoppers
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:06:42
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:29:19 +0100, Matthias Hanft wrote:
4 >
5 >> Good idea, but as I updated udev yesterday on one of my Gentoo systems,
6 >> in the usual after-update messages there was a line in red, telling me
7 >> "You don't have CONFIG_DEVTMPFS enabled. udev will not start." So it's
8 >> not really a surprise, is it? Hence, I built a new kernel *before*
9 >> rebooting :-)
10 >
11 > That's fine if you see the message, which you should, and the system
12 > does not suffer an unplanned reboot, which it shouldn't. But leaving a
13 > system in a state that won't reboot following a crash or power failure is
14 > not particularly clever, making the warnings fatal sounds a safe default
15 > to me. As this is Gentoo there will always be a way to turn the airbags
16 > off and even disable the brakes :)
17
18 A similar message has been shown after quite a few previous udev
19 updates, not just this last one. I remember having to add the
20 CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y option to my gentoo kernels at least 6 months ago
21 after seeing a message telling me that this option must be enabled for
22 udev or there'll be big problems later on.
23
24 I have all update messages emailed to me using:
25
26 PORTAGE_ELOG_*=<blah>
27
28 In my /etc/portage/make.conf
29
30 After every update I read every message that portage sends me and I act
31 appropriately upon them.
32
33 BTW, My udev update went without a hitch. I had a revdep-rebuild to do
34 for a libudev update and that was about it.
35
36 Even if you didn't see the message and your system didn't boot then you
37 could still fix things by using your Minimal Install CD to start up,
38 then chroot into your normal system and rebuild your kernel.
41 Regards,
42 Gregory.