From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] eselect-opengl Blockage (with a capital "B") problem
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 05:49:48
1 On 20 May 2020 05:44:58 CEST, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 03:14:03PM +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote
3 >> >> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 01:53:19PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > Thank you very much. I've got the update (156 packages) running
6 >now.
7 >> >I had set "-libglvnd" in make.conf on my main machine, but only
8 >against
9 >> >xorg-server on my secondary machine. Setting "-libglvnd" in
10 >make.conf
11 >> >solves the problem.
12 >>
13 >> Only for now.
14 >> "Libglvnd" is scheduled to be removed as a USE flag. I would
15 >> definitely suggest to switch to having that one on before it becomes
16 >> mandatory.
17 >>
18 >> It has a lot of benefits over the eselect hack to be able to have
19 >> multiple opengl implementations running.
20 >
21 > The reason I had originally turned it off was because when it first
22 >showed up as a flag, I checked Google to find out what it was. Almost
23 >every hit on webforums was like...
24 >
25 >Person 1 - Help; my "update world" dies
26 >Person 2 - Turn off "libglvnd" in make.conf
27 >Person 1 - Thank you; my update works fine now
28 >
29 > Add me to the list. If this is to be a new default config setup, I'd
30 >appreciate a news item about it, like the python 3.6 to 3.7 switchover.
31
32 I actually had to enable this on my new laptop before it became stable to get the Nvidia chip and my external displays working.
33 I am actually happy with this as I don't have to keep changing the opengl setting anymore when I need 3D performance.
36 Joost
37 --
38 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.