From: LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 06:54:13
1 On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > A very small selection of all possible Unixes work the same.
4 > Ubuntu and Debian are quite similar as they have common roots.
5 > RedHat works rather like an old Fedora (and to some degree that's almost
6 > exactly what it is).
7 > Gentoo looks and feels like whatever you decide to make it to be
8 > (because it is so highly configurable and adaptable)
9
10 > The fact is that the kernel make very little difference to how the
11 > overall system works. YOU do not interact with the kernel, YOU interact
12 > with a collection of programs called "userland", and these things can
13 > all be very different. For example, I'm looking at three computers
14 > right now that all run Linux, and they are all very very different:
15
16 > - this laptop, which is set up as a traditional Unix with X,
17 > - my phone running Android
18 > - my wireless router/modem which runs busybox
19
20 > Be careful of making rash conclusions about Linux. A Linux system is not
21 > "like" anything particularly, it is whatever the person who built it
22 > decided it should be.
23
24 > What you will find is that desktop Linuxes share many common elements.
25 > This is not surprising - all versions of Windows share many common
26 > elements too.
27
28 Thanks for this explanation. I earlier (before this post) used to
29 think that it is the kernel which is a deciding factor..., but yes it
30 is correct to say NO for this. Linux is really highly configurable at
31 least for this reason is a better choice and especially Gentoo - which
32 could be made to work like anything we wish (as you say) --- really
33 great to know. ON one of the machine and in the time to come, I wold
34 first read how to install Gentoo and then would definitely (100%) try
35 to install Gentooo ---- at least a successful installation would make
36 me know many things as far as Gentoo is considered.. Eventually I
37 would come to these great mailing lists for the help, but since I am
38 in another job, so it would take much time, but I would try....
39
40 Thanks.