From: Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what's next
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:40:20
1 On 8/21/05, John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have the basic system installed and updated on my laptop.
4 > Aside from the problem of the splash, everything seems to be well.
5 > I'm wondering what direction to go next?
8 You're the boss... just lead the way.. I hope that's why you installed
9 gentoo!! :)
10
11 I'd like a good backup solution w/boot capability, but mondo is right out!
12 > It's too flaky at the moment.
13 > I'd like to get a backup of the system at this stage before adding a
14 > desktop
15 > environment, so that I have somewhere to go back to in case of a bork
16 > (either from software or operator error)
19 Try SystemRescueCd. Is bootable and has tools that allows you to backup
20 partitions. You can place you current partition in other place of you disk
21 or even on a cd.
22
23 I'm also thinking that some security would be in order here (anti-virus at
24 > least, but I've also read about others like port sentry, iptables, etc).
27 Well.. I'd advise you iptables. And that's all you need. You won't need
28 anti-virus, though you can use it. I've used BitDefender some time ago..
29
30 Fernando.