From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot Gentoo to clean windows
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:33:13
1 On 28/03/2008, 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > <snip>
4 >
5 > >> FWIW, AntiVir, Bitdefender, and F-Prot run quite well on Linux, and each
6 > >> has BOTH Linux and Windows Trojan and virus signatures. So you can
7 > >> install these and scan your windows box, and then scan your Linux
8 > >> box/downloads for malware (e.g. openoffice files, media files, etc.).
9 > >>
10 > >> Add Dazuko, and you can get real-time scanning of your Linux box while
11 > >> downloading/compiling software.
12 > >
13 > > This is getting OT but I still want to ask:
14 > > Is it really necessary to run an anti-virus on linux? I just want to
15 > > hear some opinions on that topic because I thought security fixes for
16 > > your software are the way to go for fighting virae on linux.
19 > Anti-Virus on Linux. No.
20 > (presuming that you don't run as root, and have lots of unprivileged
21 > users for individual applications.)
22 >
23 > Anti-Malware on Linux. Yes.
24 > (Malware gets to the box via spoofed or hacked software distribution or
25 > creation sites; bad links or poisoned DNS caches; or via (e.g.) browser
26 > memory attacks - at plugins or exploits)
27 >
28 > The oldtimers will tell you that safe hex and perhaps integrity
29 > monitoring (e.g. Samhain or tripwire) are all that's needed. But desktop
30 > Linux with Browsing, IM, etc. is changing that, IMHO.
31 >
32 > The three packages above have Linux Trojan and Rootkit signatures, as
33 > well as Windows malware sigs. Easy enough to run an occasional scan of
34 > the Linux box (or Windows partition); and to scan each Linux download
35 > before reading, compiling, or passing on.
36 >
37 > (Dazuko additionally allows realtime scans of compilation read/writes).
38 >
39 > IMHO, Linux and MAC are the next frontier for malware, and -SADLY-
40 > AntiMalware signature and heuristic techniques are one thing we can
41 > learn about from Windows :-(
42
43 http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080327/tc_pcworld/143901
44
45 What worries me is the reference to Safari . . . (khtml rendering engine?)
46
47 What is an appropriate anti-malware for Linux, other than safe-hex?
48 --
49 Regards,
50 Mick
51 --