From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: (fwd) Re: [gentoo-user] VI
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:41:33
1 On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Thomas Dickey wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 07:40:51 -0500 (EST) Thomas Dickey <dickey@×××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > | fwiw, the termcap internals of vim and screen are just as ugly as
6 > | vi's - and they're much larger - and I don't see any complaints about
7 > | those programs on this list.
8 >
9 > Yes, but both of those can be told to use pure terminfo rather than
10 > termcap.
11
12 I'm certain we're talking about something different, since neither vim nor
13 screen uses any other interface in that area than termcap.
14
15 I was just in screen yesterday, and am looking at vim right now, just
16 in case some feature has crept in. If it were in fact using terminfo
17 rather than termcap, it would call one of these functions:
18
19 int setupterm(char *term, int fildes, int *errret);
20 int setterm(char *term);
21 char *tparm(char *str, ...);
22 int tputs(const char *str, int affcnt, int (*putc)(int));
23 int tigetflag(char *capname);
24 int tigetnum(char *capname);
25 char *tigetstr(char *capname);
26
27 All three of those programs use the same interface from ncurses - the
28 termcap one.
29
30 > | p.s: the vile ebuild that you mentioned a few weeks ago has an
31 > | obsolete homepage. It helps to keep in contact with the upstream
32 > | developers.
33 >
34 > Yeah, I sent you an email about that, and got a bounce message:
35
36 odd - I know that radixnet filters spam, but haven't seen any comments
37 about bounces. (otoh, it doesn't seem to work to send email to this list
38 from _that_ host, which again, I've not seen before). his.com seems to
39 work...
40
41 > 9.5 is in the tree and should be correct, anyway. Still looking for
42 > someone to maintain it...
43
44 ok - I see this
45
46 http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/app-editors/vile/vile-9.5.ebuild?rev=1.1&view=markup
47
48 The --with-ncurses is redundant (and --with-screen=ncurses is not as well
49 supported as the default - I made some fixes after 9.5 for the former,
50 so it should be comparable right now).
51
52 You might also consider --with-loadable-filters (that makes a smaller
53 executable).
56 Thomas E. Dickey
57 http://invisible-island.net
58 ftp://invisible-island.net