From: Artur Zych <artur.zych@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine running before modem turned on - Network weirdness
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 16:19:14
1 W dniu 2016-07-26 18:01, Andrew Lowe pisze:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I can remember in the distant past that I had to have my modem
4 > turned on before the computer otherwise, I wouldn't get an IP address.
5 > Then something changed. One day I forgot to turn on the modem first. I
6 > turned the machine on then realised the modem wasn't on, I turned it,
7 > the modem, on and prepared to reboot the machine only to see an IP
8 > address appear.
9 >
10 > It appeared that dhcp was now periodically attempting to get an
11 > address whereas in the past, if on boot it didn't find one, that was
12 > it, it just gave up. It appears that my machine has now, for some
13 > reason reverted to "the olden days" of IP address allocation. No modem
14 > at boot, no IP address. Reboot the machine, with the modem continuing
15 > to run, and I get an IP address. When I have no IP address, I can run
16 > "dhcpcd restart" and I'll get one.
17 >
18 > Anyone got any idea as to what has changed? What should I be
19 > looking for to fiddle to get my preferred behaviour, modem/machine
20 > startup in any order and I'll get an IP address. Is there a dchp
21 > "polling time" or something similar that I need to set to get this
22 > running nicely again?
23 >
24 > Thoughts greatly appreciated,
25 > Andrew
28 Hi Andrew,
29
30 You can set-up a deamon to "monitor" your desired interface and try to
31 acquire connection whenever possible.
32 The handbook introduces ifplugd and also mentions netplug -
33 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Networking/Dynamic.
36 Artur