From: Xi Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb HD cannot boot without initramfs
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 01:15:08
1 On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM, Steffen Loos <fenlo@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Xi Shen schrieb:
3 >>
4 >> sorry, could you be more specific? i cannot follow you ;)
7 >> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
8 >> wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>> On Thursday 17 December 2009 09:47:14 Xi Shen wrote:
11 >>>>
12 >>>> hi,
13 >>>>
14 >>>> i installed my gentoo on a usb HD disk, and i have compiled scsi, usb,
15 >>>> ata drivers into the kernel. but when boot, the system still cannot
16 >>>> find my usb hd, but it did find my hd on my laptop. what i missed?
17 >>>>
18 >>> You missed the filesystem driver for / compiled into the kernel
19 >
20 > 1. please don't toppost!
21
22 ok. but it looks like the gmail web client encourage top post ;)
23
24 > 2. What alan said: have you compiled ext4 or whatever you use for your
25 > root-fs compiled _into_ the kernel?
26
27 yes, i use ext4 and it is compiled into the kernel.
28
29 > 3. Suggestion from me: have you _all_ usb-staff, you need to access the
30 > usb-hd compiled _into_ the kernel? (e.a. usb_storage) not as module!
31
32 i compiled the uhci and ehci into the kernel. i need to double check
33 the usb_storage thing. maybe this is the thing i missed.
37 > Steffen
44 Best Regards,
45 David Shen
46