From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DNS Server Patches
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:03:04
1 On 28 Jul 2008, at 12:08, Norberto Bensa wrote:
2
3 > Quoting Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>:
4 >
5 >> Dan Kiersky's own description, and web-based nameserver checker:
6 >>
7 >> http://www.doxpara.com/
8 >>
9 >> Alternate web-based nameserver checker (recommended by me! )
10 >>
11 >> https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy
12 >
13 > I don't get these tests. Why do they probe _my_ IP and not the IP
14 > of my DNS servers? What's the point on probing me if _maybe_ the
15 > servers are not patched?
16
17 Wild guess: the problem is with the client mode of operation. DNS
18 servers are affected because their clients to the root name-servers.
19
20 I think this vulnerability highlights the issue of using servers that
21 you TRUST.
22
23 It applies to other vulnerabilities, too. It doesn't matter if you
24 revoke your SSH key and upload it to OpenForge if the OpenForge
25 server itself is trusting an insecure SSH key, and an attacker can
26 use it to get at your account that way.
27
28 Stroller.