From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:21:44
1 Joshua Murphy wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Given my experience with XFS, I won't be switching anytime soon. I used
5 >> that once on a in-laws system. After each crash, power failure, I had
6 >> to reinstall. Let's just say it left a bad taste in my mouth. ;-) I'm
7 >> not saying it is a bad file system for someone but certainly not for me.
8 >>
9 >> You are right tho, every file system has some fragmentation. It just
10 >> can't be otherwise. I guess I could always make my back ups, then redo
11 >> my partitions, and copy them back. I have done that once before.
12 >> Worked very well then but not real sure about how udev would like that.
13 >> I would think it would work OK but call me chicken.
14 >>
15 >> Dale
16 >>
17 >> :-) :-)
20 > Not trying to convert anyone, just correcting the "no linux fs has a
21 > native tool for defrag" statement... as for udev's robustness in being
22 > moved about... unless you're doing some very strange things with your
23 > system, I'm certain that it'd take it quite well.
27 You may be right about udev. I know at one point udev was having
28 trouble if /dev/console and some other file was not there when it was at
29 the first part of booting up. It was talked about so I suspect that
30 little glitch has been fixed but one can never tell about these things.
31
32 I'm not a real big fan of defrag on Linux but was just sort of nosing
33 around a bit. I just like some things to be in their place and I was
34 bored at the time.
35
36 Dale
37