From: "Andrés Becerra Sandoval " <andres.becerra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound problem
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:38:53
1 On 1/27/06, Rafael Barrera Oro <borafael@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello everyone! I have Via on-board sound and i cant get the audio to work.
3 >
4 > At first the problem was that /dev/dsp did not exist, so i loaded a
5 > couple of modules into the kernel (mostly following www.gentoo.org
6 > alsa-guide) after that, the error message became "could not open
7 > /dev/dsp permission denied" so i tryied chmod a+rw /dev/sound/dsp
8 > (also from gentoo docs) nevertheless, i stillo have no sound. For
9 > example when using XMMS if choose to use the Alsa driver, an error
10 > pops up telling me "failed to open audio output: Alsa plugin", so i
11 > choose Arts which doesnt trigger any errors but there is stillo no
12 > sound!!
13 >
14 > i ran "lspci |grep audio" and this is what returned
15 >
16 > 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
17 > VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
18 >
19 > i had all the necessary kernel options (according to the gentoo doc)
20 > built-in in the kernel, including AC97 so i am out of ideas.
21 >
22 > If anyone has any clue of what i should do, it would be greatly apprecieated.
23 >
24 > Thanks in advance
25 >
26 > Rafael
27 >
28 > --
29 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
33 Try putting your user in the audio group
36 Andrés
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list