From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Well, I went about updating my system again. (day 6)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 18:52:59
1 On 2016-12-10, Kevin Monceaux <Kevin@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 07:41:51PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think he meant that from a "desktop productivity" standpoint, the
5 >> two are the same: you have to close every single program you are using
6 >> and then start over.
7 >
8 > I'm old fashioned. I use text based apps as much as possible. I'm using
9 > mutt and vim to compose this e-mail, for example.
10
11 It's slrn and emacs for me.
12
13 > They're running under screen, which is running in an rxvt-unicode
14 > terminal under dwm. I could detach my screen session, exit
15 > rxvt-unicode and bounce dwm without having to exit vim or mutt. I
16 > also have music playing via moc in another screen session. Thanks
17 > to screen I could bounce my window manager without missing a beat.
18 > :-)
19
20 Yep, there are long-running things that I run in screen so that I can
21 restart X, or continue using them from a different location or
22 whatever. But, that's pretty far removed from what most people (even
23 Linux users) do with a "desktop".
26 Grant