From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LC_CTYPE and de_DE.utf8: Weirdness
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 19:26:48
1 On Sunday 23 Nov 2014 17:06:21 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Currently I am getting problems in the area of locale settings.
5 >
6 > On my PC I set
7 > echo $LC_CTYPE
8 > de_DE.utf8
9 > the settings are done here:
10 >
11 > /etc>sudo grep -r de_DE.utf8
12 > profile.env:export LC_CTYPE='de_DE.utf8'
13 > env.d/02locale:LC_CTYPE=de_DE.utf8
14 > csh.env:setenv LC_CTYPE 'de_DE.utf8'
15 >
16 > I have done the same on my little embedded system following
17 > the instruction for setting up a Gentoo system (I think...but
18 > obviously I must have done something wrong...
19 >
20 > Doing "locale -a" on the embedded system produces:
21 >
22 > Arietta G25 A:/root>locale -a
23 > locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or
24 > directory C
25 > POSIX
26 > de_DE
27 > de_DE.iso88591
28 > de_DE.iso885915@euro
29 > de_DE@euro
30 > deutsch
31 > en_US
32 > en_US.iso88591
33 > en_US.utf8
34 > german
35 >
36 > The message printed right after the command appears not only here, but
37 > at several other occasions like compiling etc...
40 > Doing "locale -a" on my PC prints a HUGE list which contains beside
41 > thousands of other settings this: de_DE.utf8
42 >
43 > I have no clue, what I am missing here...for installation I used an
44 > uptodate stage3 archive...
45 >
46 > Any hint what I done wrong or left undone is very appreciated...
47 > Thank you very much in advance!
48 >
49 > Best regards,
50 > Meino
51
52 Did you set your required locales in /etc/locale.gen?
55 Regards,
56 Mick