From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating portage, continued
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 22:53:17
1 On Thu, 30 May 2019 00:37:14 +0200, n952162@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > The next section of the response to my attempt to update portage is a
4 > long list of packages, each terminated with a "(masked by: something or
5 > other)".
6 >
7 > What does that tell me. If it's masked, it shouldn't be available,
8 > right? But, I've got it:
9 >
10 > - virtual/perl-parent-0.234.0-r1::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
11 >
12 > ls virtual/perl-parent/perl-parent-0.234.0-r1.ebuild
13 > virtual/perl-parent/perl-parent-0.234.0-r1.ebuild
14 >
15 > Can I get rid of it? Is perl-parent always masked?
16
17 grep perl-parent -r /etc/portage
18
19 will tell you whether one of your config files is masking it.
20
21 Since you have already admitted not updating config files for quite a
22 while, I would tackle that task first, it may remove some of your other
23 problems. You should read up on this in the Handbook
24 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Portage/Tools
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Guns don't kill people--it's those little pieces of lead.