From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Genlop oddity
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 14:04:25
1 On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
5 > How is it possible for genlop's reported ETA to increase while its time
6 > spent so far also increases? Could the concurrent gnutls merging have
7 > affected it? Surely not.
10 I've noticed the same oddity recently while building a couple of new amd64
11 boxes. Unfortunately, I can't document my observations
12 with precise numbers, but I have noticed it on multiple occasions when
13 simultaneously emerging, say, two packages that each
14 take hours to build. As an example, If the estimate for the remaining time
15 was another 1/2-1 hr while the 2d build was sharing system
16 resources with the 1st, I've seen the 2d build estimate jump to 1-2 hr when
17 having exclusive access to system resources after the 1st
18 finishes. It's almost as if somewhere in the code there's logic that
19 estimates time remaining as proportional to available system
20 resources available instead of inversely proportional.
21
22 This isn't a subtle anomaly, in my opinion. I've used genlop in this way
23 to monitor build times for ages and I've never seen it behave
24 this way before. And I haven't changed my build options by fooling around
25 with -jN or by trying to do other things on the system while
26 emerging. New behavior for genlop, or a 32/64 bit thing? (I've recently
27 gone 64 bit and that's where I see the discrepancy.) Glad
28 to see that someone else has experienced the same thing, and I'm not going
29 crazy (although some might argue this is hardly proof...)
30
31 John Blinka