From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 22:57:46
1 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Tue, 31 May 2011 22:40:01 +0200, Mick wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
3 > Cleaning redundant configuration files:
6 >> On Tuesday 31 May 2011 17:26:43 David W Noon wrote:
7 >>
8 > [snip]
9 >
10 >>> To repeat myself: I do not see a customized configuration file as
11 >>> being any more important than a vanilla one. If I understand a
12 >>> configuration file well enough to customize it once, I remain
13 >>> capable of customizing it again after a reinstall.
14 >>>
15 >> I would *not* want to have to reconfigure sendmail, apache, mrtg, or
16 >> umpteen other files from scratch if you don't mind.
17 >>
18 > In that case, do not unmerge them. Just upgrade as needed.
19 >
20 > Remember that I am writing purely about *unmerged* packages. In the
21 > case of a rebuild or upgrade, customizations would be preserved just
22 > as they are now.
25 I have in the past unmerged a package, checked to make sure it is all
26 gone and then emerged it again. I think this type of situation is what
27 people are talking about. Since I have done this myself, I wouldn't
28 want the config files to be deleted and others seem to be talking about
29 the same thing. That's my take on it at least.
30
31 It should be a option but not something that is done by default.
32
33 Dale
34