From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:16:34
1 On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:53:20 +0100, Alan McKinnon
2 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Friday 12 February 2010 01:52:37 Zeerak Waseem wrote:
5 >> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:31:26 +0100, Alan McKinnon
6 >>
7 >> <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >> > On Friday 12 February 2010 01:10:58 Zeerak Waseem wrote:
9 >> >> But honestly, I don't have a solution to the problem, what I can
10 >> however
11 >> >> say is that my browser and my mail app, are pretty deft at realizing
12 >> >> that
13 >> >> their attempts to access a server, are in vain, without any network
14 >> >> manager to tell them that they're offline. If there is any inter-app
15 >> >> communication going on, it's not anything I know enough about to
16 >> give a
17 >> >> qualified guess about.
18 >> >
19 >> > So do this then:
20 >> >
21 >> > Build a desktop from old ebuilds and tarballs from a time when dbus
22 >> was
23 >> > not
24 >> > prevalent. Make sure that the result is somewhat comparable to what
25 >> you
26 >> > like
27 >> > to have now. Note the code sizes and other metrics of complexity. Note
28 >> > resource usage.
29 >> >
30 >> > Then examine the code for all the major apps you have, find the
31 >> IPC-type
32 >> > functionality they have and remove it. Rebuild everything. Note the
33 >> code
34 >> > sizes
35 >> > and other metrics of complexity. Note resource usage.
36 >> >
37 >> > Compare these two sets of numbers. Then run your new IPC-less machine.
38 >> > Let us
39 >> > know how that works out for you.
40 >> >
41 >> > At the very least you will gain an understanding of just how much IPC
42 >> is
43 >> > going
44 >> > on even in minimal environments.
45 >>
46 >> Well, I'll have to tell you, that I might just do that one of these
47 >> days,
48 >> because like you say. If nothing else I'll gain an understanding of it.
49 >> As you suggested in the last mail, I don't think I've considered all the
50 >> different uses of IPC. :-)
51 >
52 > A lot of that was tongue in cheek :-)
53 >
54 > If you do manage to pull off that monumental purge and get something that
55 > runs, you'll have enough information to build a PhD thesis around.
56 >
57 > OK, maybe not a PhD. maybe a Masters.
61 Hehe, it read :-)
62
63 I'll be sure to remember that when I have to write my masters, quite
64 possibly also about the same time I'll be done with the purge and getting
65 it working ;)
68 Zeerak