From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] test lab Quicktime streaming server
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:03:12
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03 <at> volumehost.com> writes:
4 > On Wednesday 14 December 2005 07:59 am, Uwe Thiem wrote:
5 > > does someone know of a piece of software that runs under linux and
6 > > swallows a stream from a Quicktime Streaming Server but just throws
7 > > the data away (no decoding, no displaying)?
8
9 > You may be able to use socat and a bit of shell to do what you want:
10
11 > http_request=#Whatever you need to request your stream
12 > socat_remote_address=#Something like TCP:your_server:80
13 > stress_level=10
14 > i=0
15 > while [ "$i" -lt "$stress_level" ]; do
16 > socat "$socat_remote_address" << ENDREQUEST > /dev/null &
17 > $http_request
18 > ENDREQUEST
19 > done
22 Any ability to easily measure the amount of bandwidth being consumed,
23 in bits/sec or mbps by these video streams ? That would tell us if
24 it's the number of streams or the bandwidth of the video streams
25 or both, that bogged down a video master(server).
26
27 I have been using 'bwmon: to measure bandwidth consumption
28 of video streams into an ethernet interface. However,it does not have the
29 ability to parse out statistics based on individual video streams, when
30 multiple video streams are entering the same interface.
31
32 I have read discussions that the
33 2.6 linux kernel can actually measure every bit into/out-of an interface very
34 accurately, but, I just have not found any detailed information on these
35 measurements or how to perform these measurement, via token buckets or
36 whatever kernel mechanisms folks use. It sure would be nice to be able to parse
37 out video and other forms of ethernet data traffic into an individual
38 readings with unique stats per application so what can see how much
39 server resources a process or video stream is using. I'll be using
40 mixed mode video, i.e. some mjpeg, some mpeg2 some H.264 some
41 theora and maybe more. How else does one discern what's bogging down
42 a video master(server) with lots of activity?
45 Thoughts or ideas?
46
47 James
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list