From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: HP ARM servers
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:30:34
1 Michael Mol <mikemol <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/tegra2/install.xml
5 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/trimslice/install.xml
6 > Does this mean we may start seeing ARM processors that could take over
7 > the role of x86 on desktop systems?
8
9 The trimslice is a (mini) workstation.
10
11 > I don't know that much about ARM...
12
13 The current Arm 9 processors are more like the intel atom
14 or a chip from via; similar performance.
15
16 When the A15 arrives in less than a year, that is the
17 chip where the memory and graphics buss bandwidths
18 are on par with Intel and AMD.
21 The killer hardware for arm is clustering all on one
22 mobo that is LOW POWER. Ultimately, the greatest performance
23 will come from the processors with the lowest power consumption
24 per MIP . ARM is the leader in that category. That's
25 why windows 8 is ported (in testing) on ARM hardware.
26
27 ARM is under most Android systems and is the dominant processor
28 for low power and mobility communication systems.
29
30 Here are a few:
31 ASUS Eee transformer
32 Toshiba AC100