From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Raid 5 creation is slow - Can this be done quicker?
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 12:00:00
1 Hi All,
2
3 I am currently installing a new server and am using Linux software raid to
4 merge 6 * 1.5TB drives in a RAID5 configuration.
5
6 Creating the RAID5 takes over 20 hours (according to " cat /proc/mdstat ")
7
8 Is there a way that will speed this up? The drives are new, but contain random
9 data left over from some speed and reliability tests I did. I don't care about
10 keeping the current 'data', as long as when the array is reliable later.
11
12 Can I use the " --assume-clean " option with mdadm and then expect it to keep
13 working, even through reboots?
14 Or is this a really bad idea?
15
16 Many thanks,