From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cannot open root device "sda3"
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:29:40
1 Am Donnerstag 21 Januar 2010 19:08:53 schrieb Valmor de Almeida:
2
3 > I am trying to boot gentoo from an external USB HDD. I am getting the
4 > error message:
5 >
6 > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block(2,0)
7 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
8 > partitions:
9 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
10 > unknown-block(2,0)
11
12 USB storage driver in the kernel? If not, compile it in, together with
13 everything needed for USB. SCSI disk driver should also be compiled in.
14
15 If yes, lookup the list archive a couple of weeks back, somebody mentioned a
16 boot option to delay booting to give the kernel some time to discover USB
17 devices.
18
19 HTH...
20