From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Howto generate a list of installed packages?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:07:27
1 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > Season's Greetings to one and all.
3 >
4 > I would like to be able to generate a script or list of packages of
5 > some kind that would enable me to install Gentoo with an identical
6 > profile of installed packages. Since with Debian/Ubuntu one can run
7 > dpkg --get-selections > file
8 > and
9 > dpkg --set-selections < file
10 > (or some such), one imagines that the Gentoo gurus/magicians are able
11 > to do something similar.
12 >
13 > It takes me months to get a new machine up to speed. In fact, I have
14 > just realized I don't have tcsh installed, something I hardly EVER
15 > use, but need to run a one of a kind script.
16 >
17 > Can anyone make a suggestion? Am I missing something?
18 >
19 > Thanks
20 >
21 > Alan Davis
22
23 You should be able to copy the world file over and it do pretty much the
24 same thing. The biggest difference being maybe some change in hardware.
25
26 If you want a list of what is installed, try this:
27
28 equery list
29
30 That should list all packages installed but the majority of them are
31 dependencies so you should not emerge them individually. Copying the
32 world file I would think would be the best solution.
33
34 Dale
35