From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] games-fps without blood
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 12:47:36
1 On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 06:20 +0300, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 03 February 2009 06:00:40 Tom wrote:
3 > > I played Wolfenstein 3D as I was 7, and Doom when I was 8.
4 > > And I'm in no way disturbed...I think ;)
5 > >
6 > > I think you can turn off gore in quake 3,so maybe anything (free)
7 > > derived from that engine also has the option!?
8 > >
9 > > Tom
12 > Ok, I'll clarify further: without "kill them!" :-)
13
14 Ok, here's the thing I don't understand: you don't want your son to
15 actually see that when you shoot a person (or animal) that it bleeds,
16 because, I presume, you tend to find something gory about that. But the
17 act of walking around rooms shooting everything that moves -- that's not
18 gory for some reason?
19
20 It seems to me that the act of bleeding (we all do it) is in fact
21 natural, and shouldn't be that disturbing compared to the acts of
22 violence committed in FPS to begin with. This is analogous to the
23 ratings board giving a "PG-13" rating to a movie with excessing drug use
24 but an "R" (or worse) rating to a film portraying sex, a natural act.
25 As if to say, "Yeah, shooting up is pretty bad but, hey, at least
26 they're not fucking!".
27
28 Anyway, if I'm ever unfortunate to find myself on the wrong end of a gun
29 I hope it's by someone who is aware that if/when he pulls the trigger I
30 will bleed as opposed to, say, a person who thinks I'll simply fall down
31 and, after a few seconds, disappear.
32
33 Note I'm not disputing the game, just the "logic".
34
35 -a
36
37 You can have your soap box back now.