From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoo rebuild, cups won't work
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:58:41
1 I'm rebuilding a broken gentoo, taken down by hard drive failure.
2 Most things are working well, but printing just won't go.
3
4 Attpempts to print are accepted, but not printed. lpstat -t shows the
5 attached printer is disabled. Re-enabling only works until the next job
6 is submitted. It has reported a variety of reasons, such as "Page not
7 Found" (whatever that means).
8 Or some thing about back end failure. Or no reason stated at all.
9
10 I've got my old config files, so I was prepared for things to Just Work.
11 They don't.
12 I do not have my old world file, so I may be missing a piece.
13
14 I've installed cups and hplip. I cannot follow the Gentoo printing guide,
15 because that worthy
16 document requires me to add hplip to the default runlevel, but hplip does
17 not put anything in
18 /etc/init.d. My printer is an old HP Laserjet 4M, which I usually run as a
19 Postscrpt printer.
20
21 What have I missed?
24 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD