From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:07:12
1 On Tuesday 30 January 2007 16:06, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On 30 January 2007 15:52, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 30 January 2007 15:22, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
4 > > > Anyway if you know
5 > > > how to do that you certainly know how to avoid that /tmp gets
6 > > > wiped during reboot too (which it doesn't unless you make it so).
7 > > > And OOo only takes 5½ hours to compile.. :p
8 > >
9 > > Hah, so my machine isn't so bad. 4 hours 57 minutes 34 seconds with
10 > > everything enabled except linguas (english only) and dev stuff.
11 > >
12 > > 4 hours 2 seconds with gnome, kde and all other fluff out of USE.
13 > > It's enough to make a fellow wanna consider openoffice-bin...
14 >
15 > What are the specs of your box?
16
17 Dell Latitude D810
18 2GHz Centrino
19 2GB Ram
20 80G SATA
21 2.6.19-suspend2-r1
22
23 But, OOo is a well known resource hog that really stresses a machine when compiling, so I don't think it makes a useful measure of anything. And KDE-meta isn't much better these days either. Yesterdays sync brought in 3.5.6 and 3 or 4 other bits and pieces, which I started at 1am this morning. It's just finished now at 1pm - 12 hours!
24
25 But having said that, I've noticed that this kernel gives really slow disk IO which I haven't managed to track down. It feels less than half the speed I got on 2.6.18.*, and my three year old desktop with a similar world runs 'emerge -avuNDt world' twice as quick.
26
27 I'm almost ready to give up on .19 and go back to .18 till .20 comes out.
28
29 alan