From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel questions
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:44:40
1 On 08/19/2010 08:44 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 18.08.2010 21:30, schrieb Elmar Hinz:
3 >> 1.) Is there a Map: modules to configration parameters?
4 >>
5 >> "lspci -k" lists me all modules of the running genkernel.
6 >> Unfortunately the configuration parameters of the kernel have
7 >> different names.
10 >> 2.) Which approach would you recommend?
13 > With new enough kernel sources (gentoo-sources in stable are good
14 > enough), there is `make localmodconfig` which removes all mods from your
15 > current .config which are not loaded.
16 > There is also `make localyesconfig` which does the same but doesn't
17 > create modules.
18
19 Al, if you look in the README file in the top of the kernel tree,
20 there's a very good section with explanations about the various kernel
21 configuration options available for make.
22
23 I find it amazing, though, that even if I copy my old .config, it still
24 takes me so much time to make sure all the settings are correct for a
25 given machine. Hasn't anyone come up with a handy
26 look-through-my-lspci-output-and-create-a-skeleton-kernel-config tool?
27 Or does it already exist and we just call him "Pappy"?