From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resizing EFI partition, btrfs context
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 00:47:33
1 2015-10-05 15:36 GMT-06:00 Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at>:
2 >
3 > Hello, gentoo-users,
4 >
5 > today I wanted to resize my EFI-partition sda1.
6 >
7 > It was on my SSD which had roughly this layout:
8 >
9 > sda1 300M EFI System
10 > sda2 ~460G linux fs -> btrfs
11 > sda3 ~4G swap
12 >
13 > This is a dualboot setup with Gentoo and Fedora (in fact triple-boot as
14 > there's some MS Windows 10 Pro on another disk, but anyway) and both
15 > distros have their root-filesystems and stuff within the btrfs on sda2.
16 >
17 > They even share stuff by mounting the same subvols here and there ...
18 > nice, by the way.
19 >
20 > My issue was and is: 300M gets tight when 2 distros install multiple
21 > kernels into /boot ... so I would like to have around 500 megs to avoid
22 > having to always manually clean up some kernel before upgrades run
23 > through. comfort.
24 >
25 > I ddrescued sda to a HDD for backups, then rebooted with gparted etc etc
26 >
27 > long story short: it failed.
30 I tried to do this (getting more space for kernels in the EFI
31 partitions) some days ago, and failed on my first try also, I went the
32 easy way backing up what I had and deleting, remaking the partition
33 using gparted, put the stuff in there(and finally change from
34 gummiboot to bootctl), reboot and failed, after sratching my head and
35 2 more fails trying FAT16 and going back to FAT32 booting, I noticed I
36 had not set the partition type only the label, and didn't found how to
37 do that using gparted, so went to the basic: gdisk, and set the
38 partition type to EF00 and I it worked. Didn't you miss this sort of
39 details?