From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] motherboard died?
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:23:37
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Matt Harrison wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> Matt Harrison wrote:
5 >>>> Hi all,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> A few weeks ago there was a discussion about audio interference when
8 >>>> running 3d applications.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Well mine kept getting worse (it didn't to it at all a month ago)
11 >>>> until I got fed up. I opened the side and (gently!) moved some of the
12 >>>> power cables away from the data cables to see if that was a cause of
13 >>>> interference.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Well I did manage to reduce the noise by moving cables around but a
16 >>>> couple of minutes later the machine bombed out with a big oops that I
17 >>>> can't produce now.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> I didn't think it was a big problem, I thought I had just pulled an
20 >>>> hdd cable a bit too hard or something.
21 >>>>
22 >>>> Now however, the machine won't post or even power up. It is an Asus
23 >>>> Crosshair SKT AM2 nForce 590 SLI DDR2 which has a debug display on the
24 >>>> back panel.
25 >>>>
26 >>>> As soon as you turn on the power to the motherboard, it displays "CPU
27 >>>> INIT" which is the very first stage. Now trying to turn on the machine
28 >>>> yields absolutely nothing, it just doesn't do a thing.
29 >>>>
30 >>>> I have removed all additional devices, just leaving 1 hdd. I've also
31 >>>> reseated the CPU, RAM and all cables.
32 >>>>
33 >>>> I can't see how I could have properly killed some hardware just by
34 >>>> moving a cable an inch to one side.
35 >>>>
36 >>>> If anyone has any ideas I'd be so grateful, I really don't want to
37 >>>> have to return parts, I should be working on stuff right now :(
38 >>>>
39 >>>> Thanks
40 >>>>
41 >>>> Matt
42 >>>>
43 >>>>
44 >>> Is it possible that a wire come a loose when you moved it? Maybe a
45 >>> power wire or something? Also, I don't think this could be it but could
46 >>> it be that the CPU fan isn't turning? It doesn't sound like it gets
47 >>> that far so that may not matter.
48 >>>
49 >>> Dale
50 >>>
51 >>> :-) :-)
52 >> I think I have reseated all the cables but I am happy to try again for
53 >> luck :P
60 > I was thinking maybe a wire came loose inside the connector itself.
61 > Reseating the cables may not work. Maybe unplug them and look inside to
62 > see if they have come loose. I ran into this a while back with my
63 > central heater. It came loose where it was crimped inside the connector
64 > and I had to solder it back on. May be a long shot tho.
65 >
66 > Dale
67 >
71 Ah I see what you're saying. Yea it will be hard to spot so it'll take a
72 while. I guess that's something to keep me busy. I've contacted Asus as
73 well, so at least I've got some history if I really do have to RMA it.
76 Thanks