From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "wiping" unused space and/or secure erasing of files
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:35:39
1 On 10/30/05, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
2 > Qian Qiao schrieb:
3 > > On 10/30/05, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
4 >
5 > >> dd if=/dev/zero of=file && rm file
6 > >
7 > > I'm a noob on journaling file systems, won't the file be recovered if
8 > > the journal is re-played? When we erase a file like that, don't we
9 > > have to figure out a way to erase the journal entry too?
10 >
11 > No, the file won't be recovered. If it could be recovered,
12 > the journal would have to be at least the size of the real
13 > data, wouldn't it?
14
15 Ah, I see. I was thinking that the journal is working in a similar
16 fashion as the transaction logs in DBMS, seems I'm quite wrong. :)
17
18 -- Joe
21 There are 3 kinds of people in the world:
22 Those who can count, and those who can't.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list