From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Diagnosing file corruption
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 01:49:10
1 Bryan Gardiner <bog <at> khumba.net> writes:
4 > On my most recent update, I had some build failures that led me to
5 > find that some files on my root partition have been corrupted.
6
7 Pretty open ended statement, so here's a few ideas.
10 'eix -cC app-forensics' will give a brief description of tools
11 in that app-forensics category, so you can see what you have to
12 work with. Other tools exist in other categories.
13
14 I'm going to ignore the luks issues so others can chime in on that issue.
17 A while back I ran across app-forensics/AIDE::
18
19 " Typically, a system administrator will create an AIDE database on a new
20 system before it is brought onto the network. This first AIDE database is a
21 snapshot of the system in it's normal state and the yardstick by which all
22 subsequent updates and changes will be measured. " [1]
25 Sounds great as a replacement for tripwire. I have yet to use this,
26 but it'll be on my next system. You can use the -fetch option to
27 download the fresh version of the packages (assuming you have deleted them
28 first) where you suspect corruption and compile/install those again.
29 Then set up AIDE?
30
31 Sounds like a great idea for an internet facing server.
32
33 Once you download those replacement packages, just unplug your ethernet
34 until you are prepared to reconnect.
35
36 [1] http://aide.sourceforge.net/stable/manual.html
39 hth,