From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update to /etc/sudoers disables wheel users!!!
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 03:16:14
1 On 10/25/22 9:04 PM, Ramon Fischer wrote:
2 > I do not think, that this is a bug, since it is the default file, which
3 > should not be edited by the user.
4
5 I *STRONGLY* /OBJECT/ to the notion that users should not edit
6 configuration files.
7
8 By design, that's the very purpose of the configuration file, for users
9 to edit them to be what they want them to be.
10
11 The concept of "don't edit configuration files" seems diametrically
12 opposed to the idea of Gentoo as I understand it. Namely, /you/ build
13 /your/ system to behave the way that /you/ want it to.
14
15 > All changes should be done in "/etc/sudoers.d/" to avoid such cases.
16
17 Then why in the world does the /default/ file, as installed by Gentoo,
18 include directions to edit the the file?!?!?!
19
20 Aside: Someone recently posted a comment to the sudo users mailing list
21 (exact name escapes me) wherein their security policy prohibited
22 @includedir explicitly because of the capability that adding a file to
23 such included directories inherently enabled sudo access -or- caused
24 sudo to fail secure and perform a Denial of Service. They were required
25 to use individual @include directives.
26
27 IMHO telling a Gentoo user not to modify a file in /etc takes hutzpah.
32 Grant. . . .
33 unix || die