From: mereandor <mereandor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to feed the watchdog?
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 21:14:14
1 Hi,
2
3 I recently bought a MSI GM-IM45 [1] mainboard which includes a (hardware)
4 watchdog timer. Now the problem is that I don't know how to prevent it from
5 resetting the system. There seem to be two possible ways but I'm unable to
6 make either one of them work...
7
8 1. There is a BIOS setting to enable/disable the watchdog: When I set it to a
9 specific time it resets after the set interval, but when I disable the watchdog
10 the reset still occurs (I don't know the exact interval yet and I'm unsure if
11 it stays the same). So no luck here.
12
13 2. Feed the dog: I don't know what kind of watchdog it is so I don't know
14 which driver I should use. I tried a live CD where I modprobed each of the
15 watchdog driver modules (one at a time) and then wanted to prevent it from
16 resetting with a looped "echo 1 > /dev/watchdog" with no success.
17
18 There is some information on the watchdog timer in the user manual [2] on page
19 64 f. including some assembler code. But I'm not able to get something useful
20 out of it.
21
22 Any clue on this would be very appreciated, especially:
23 - Why the BIOS setting won't work as expected
24 - How to find out which watchdog chip it is
25 - If the "echo 1" should work when I've found the right driver
26
27 regards
28 Roman
29