From: "Marc Stürmer" <mail@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 10:18:09
1 Am 14.03.2013 09:15, schrieb Dale:
2
3 > I was wondering. Has anyone ever seen where a test as been done to
4 > compare the speed of Gentoo with other distros? Maybe Gentoo compared
5 > to Redhat, Mandrake, Ubuntu and such?
6
7 Running Gentoo is not a choice about raw _speed_. I mean, even if you
8 claim that your binaries are running 2-3% faster than e.g. on Debian,
9 this is something really negligable on a production system.
10
11 I mean, you may gain a small percentage of running speed, but on the
12 other hand you get the need to have a compiler installed on your system,
13 which could be quite a security hole, and having binaries produced by
14 yourself.
15
16 If you are not that lucky to have your own binary package building host
17 for Gentoo that's something, that you don't want to have on heavy duty
18 production systems, like e.g. database hosts. Compiler runs on such
19 systems are a big nono to me.
20
21 So running Gentoo is about another thing - _choice_ and _flexibility_.
22 It fits that hole quite nicely if you need package switches enabled most
23 binary based distributions don't have enabled. Otherwise running those
24 distributions is the way to go.
25
26 Of course, if you like to tinker with your system to shape it the way
27 you like it, Gentoo is a good choice.