From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Default I/O scheduler in simple words
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:50:44
1 On Thursday 4 January 2007 19:24, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
2
3 > In kernel config there is an opportunity to select 'Default I/O
4 > scheduler'. It may be 'Anticipatory I/O scheduler' or 'Deadline I/O
5 > scheduler' or 'CFQ I/O scheduler'. If try to avoid very clever words
6 > (like at kernel.org :-)), which scheduler is the best for desktop,
7 > taking in mind Gentoo specifics (background syncing/updating) and
8 > audio-oriented software? Must I supply some additional info to make
9 > selection?
10
11 The kernel help for the CFQ scheduler says:
12
13 "The CFQ I/O scheduler tries to distribute bandwidth equally
14 among all processes in the system. It should provide a fair
15 working environment, suitable for desktop systems."
16
17 and, BTW, you can change the scheduler on a per-device basis at run time,
18 using a command like
19
20 echo ${scheduler} > /sys/block/${dev}/queue/scheduler
21
22 where ${dev} is the device you want to apply the scheduler to (eg, hda,
23 sda, etc.), and ${scheduler} is the type of scheduler you want (eg,
24 noop, anticipatory, cfq, deadline).
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list