From: CapSel <capsel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iptraf vs iptables (mangle & access)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:14:00
1 On 3/1/07, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > That would be correct, since every forwarded packet passes though both the
4 > pre-routing and post-routing chains, so you are counting every packet (at
5 > least those that are not dropped in the FORWARD chain) twice.
8 I don't fully understand how is that possible that my rules count packet
9 twice, could you explain it more briefly?
10
11 I specified -i eth0 in PREROUTING and -o eth0 in POSTROUTING. Isn't this
12 correct way to count packets only once? ...and I'm getting values only from
13 chain 'stat', which is called only from PREROUTING and POSTROUTING with
14 specified network interface respectively to direction (-i/-o eth0).
15 So in my opinion a packet traveling through the router to my network passes
16 only once through 'stats' as it is accepted only in PREROUTING with -i eth0,
17 and not in POSTROUTING with -o eth0, as it goes out from eth1. Am I correct?